Choosing Between A New Or Used RV? Ask These Questions First!
The first barrier to deciding on an RV is figuring out which type of RV is right for you. Perhaps this is your first RV, or maybe you’ve decided to upgrade. Regardless, it’s always wise to weigh your needs and wants. Do you need a travel trailer, or will a pop-up camper do? Once you’ve cleared that hurdle, you have to decide whether to get a new RV or save some money and buy used.
NEW OR USED RVS
Before you pull the trigger on a big purchase, like an RV, you need to ask yourself a couple of questions. This will help guide you to the best kind of RV for you, whether that’s a brand new luxury model or a pre-owned rig in great condition.
IS THIS YOUR FIRST RV?
- If you’re buying your first RV and don’t have a lot of experience with them, you may prefer a used model. A used RV allows you to sort out floor plans and get a feel for life on the road, without taking the big financial plunge on a new unit.
- If you’re a seasoned RV owner, a new model may be preferable. With years of experience on the road, you might prefer the freedom to choose all the details and amenities of a new travel trailer made just for you.
Pro Tip: If you’re buying your first RV, visit a reputable showroom to get more familiar with the different models and types available.
ARE YOU ON A TIGHT BUDGET?
- If your top priority in an RV purchase is cost, then consider the value of a previously owned and well cared for RV. Even newer, gently owned RVs are significantly less that a new model.
- If your top priority is the experience, then you may want to opt for a new RV. That way you’re sure to get all the bells and whistles you want, and the exact make and model you’ve been eyeing.
HOW MUCH DO YOU PLAN ON USING IT?
- Most RV drivers go about 3,000 to 5,000 miles a year. If that sounds about right to you, then a used, low mileage RV should work just fine.
- If you plan to live in or frequently use your RV for travel, getting a new rig might be your best bet.
THE BEST RV FOR YOU
There are a lot of great reasons to choose new or used, but at the end of the day, it depends entirely on what you want and what you need. Sometimes, it’s as simple about walking into an RV dealership and finding “the one.”
Contact Us to learn more about buying an RV, or browse our showroom to find the best RV for you!