What are probiotics?
Many people hear the word ""bacteria"" and think about germs that make you sick.
But there are many types of bacteria that help your body function optimally! Probiotics are bacteria that help support good health in the gut. Probiotic bacteria can be found in fermented foods such as: kimchi, yogurt, and sauerkraut. Probiotics can also be taken as supplements. Include probiotics in your diet daily to support a healthy gut microbiome.
6 health benefits of probiotics:
1. They're good for your gut! Evidence has shown that probiotics are beneficial for managing gut issues like diarrhea caused by taking antibiotics, as well as constipation.
2. Weight management. Gut bacteria plays an important role in digestion, metabolism, energy production, and appetite regulation.
3. They support healthy digestion. Good bacteria in your gut are key players in the breakdown of fiber-rich carbohydrates, otherwise known as prebiotics, which play an essential role in strengthening the barrier of your intestines.
4. Healthy skin. The nutritional support from healthy bacteria inside and outside of your body could help manage problems like eczema, acne, allergic inflammation, hypersensitivity, and help fight future skin damage.
5. Improved emotional health. Studies have found that good bacteria in the gut can produce mood-stabilizing neurotransmitters, like serotonin and dopamine.
6. They're heart-healthy! Taking probiotic supplements can positively affect cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
Ask our office for help integrating more probiotics into your diet.