The Steps to Follow to Solve Your Shoulder Pain
The shoulder, that ball-and-socket joint that allows us to have a wide and versatile range of motion to fulfill all of our goals using our arms, can be the object of diverse medical conditions, whit most of them producing different degrees of shoulder pain.
Formed by three main bones, the humerus, the clavicle, and the scapula, the shoulder is composed of two main joints, the acromioclavicular one, made by the scapula and the clavicle, and the glenohumeral one, made by the humerus and the scapula. Additionally, muscles, tendons, and ligaments maintain all of these bones together, providing controlled motion to the articulation.
Either because of excessive manual labor, injuries while playing sports, overuse syndromes, or certain underlying medical conditions, shoulder pain can appear, hampering the ability to move freely and affecting day-to-day life.
With this in mind, the first step to take to solve the shoulder pain is to find the right diagnosis. To achieve this, a healthcare professional will make good use of the medical history and physical examination, while also performing some imaging tests, such as an X-ray or an MRI, which can provide a detailed look at the shoulder structures.
After having a proper diagnosis and knowing if the shoulder pain is originated by a rotator cuff tendinitis, torn cartilage, bursitis, bone spurs, pinched nerve, frozen shoulder, dislocated shoulder, or another cause, treatment usually starts accordingly.
Traditional treatment options include the application of cold packs, use of compressive bandages or a shoulder immobilizer, consumption of anti-inflammatory medication, corticosteroids, or opioid pain drugs, or the practice of physical therapy and gentle exercise. More serious cases are usually managed through surgical procedures.
However, while a portion of the patients submitted to these therapeutic methods improves shoulder pain intensity, a big portion still remains unhealed and dealing with severe side effects that aggravate the symptomatology.
For this reason, experts on the matter are moving their attention to the use of science-based innovative medical techniques to solve many musculoskeletal conditions like shoulder pain. Some of these include:
- Myofascial trigger point injection, consisting in the injection of a pain-relieving solution directly into the trigger points or tight muscular knots.
- Nerve root block, based on the injection of a numbing anesthetic solution into the nerve that is producing the shoulder pain.
- Growth factors, consisting in the administration of a prepared solution of growth factors, naturally produced proteins that positively influence cellular differentiation and proliferation.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy, which consists in injecting a concentrated solution of platelets, growth factors, signaling molecules, and other proteins to accelerate the healing process.
- Stem cell therapy, a technique based in the administration of processed stem cells to promote the patient´s capacities of replacing the damaged cells with healthy ones, boosting chondrogenesis and the quick reduction of inflammatory and pain processes.
- 100% pure amniotic fluid, based in the injection of a solution that contains a wide range of natural and regenerative elements, such as collagen, hyaluronic acid, cytokines, etc.
- Exosomes, which consists in injecting a prepared solution of exosomes, naturally produced molecules that ensure transportation and communication between cells.
By scheduling an appointment over at Dr. Nash´s Progressive Pain and Rehabilitation, we can make you return to your daily activities in the shortest possible time through diverse regenerative therapies, so you can avoid more invasive and risky interventions and its long periods of recovery.
So, schedule your appointment with us and you will receive the proper attention your case requires.
For more information about shoulder pain, the various therapies capable of treating it, and so much more, contact us at 346-220-8063. Our team of experts based in the luxuriously planned community of The Woodlands, TX, will be available during working hours to answer all your inquiries and support you in your path to wellness.