Ask the doctor: Canopy hosts monthly 'Lunch and Learn' in The Woodlands
THE WOODLANDS, Texas -- Canopy, a cancer survivorship center at Memorial Hermann, provides patients with exactly what they truly want and need: access to information. Each month Canopy hosts an “Ask the Doctor” lunch and learn for the community. Attendees enjoy lunch and a relaxed environment, but most importantly they have an hour and a half with an oncology physician who allows them to ask questions until their heart’s content.
In honor of Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, Dr. Thomas Newton and Dr. Kruti Nair will lead the meeting on March 14. Topics to be discussed include prevention and treatment of colorectal cancer.
“Ask the Doctor” is held the second Wednesday of every month at 12 p.m. Call the Canopy front desk to get more information and register. 713.897.5939
Canopy is the first-of-its-kind cancer survivorship center in Montgomery County, offering a wide variety of programs and services to address the emotional, physical and social needs of those touched by cancer. Canopy features a caring community of hope, healing and empowerment to enhance the quality of life for individuals affected by cancer as well as those who support cancer survivors during their journeys. Here, survivors and their supporters will find an inviting, comfortable place where staff and volunteers help survivors address issues and concerns, relax and find ways to look and feel their very best – all in one comprehensive and supportive environment.
Canopy offers a wide variety of services for the community's cancer survivors, including:
- Oncology Nurse Navigator
- A cooking demonstration/teaching kitchen for nutritional education and counseling
- A large support group room for caregiver support sessions, yoga classes, tai chi, music, art and dance therapy, "Ask the Doctor" sessions, and so much more
- A small support group room for private counseling, small group counseling sessions, smoking cessation classes, meetings with a social worker or dietician, and Look Good Feel Better sessions
- An onsite resource library and electronic resources
- A private dressing room area for breast prosthesis and bra fittings
- A wig salon for individuals coping with hair loss
Canopy is made possible by Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Medical Center and by philanthropic support through Memorial Hermann Foundation and Memorial Hermann In the Pink of Health.