Assisted Living by Unlimited Care Cottages wins the TORCH “Home of the Year” award for its Willis cottage
WILLIS, TX -- Assisted Living by Unlimited Care Cottages has won the 2021 Texas Organization of Residential Care Homes (TORCH) “Home of the Year” award for its cottage in Willis, Texas.
Founded, owned, and operated by Buck and Terri Buckholtz since 1999, Assisted Living by Unlimited Care Cottages has nine cottages throughout the areas of Kingwood, Oak Ridge North, Willis, and The Woodlands/Spring.
The 7,400 square-foot Willis care home is located at 14450 Longstreet Drive off FM 1097 near Bentwater, approximately three miles west of Interstate 45, and can accommodate up to 16 residents.
Criteria for the “Home of the Year” award included:
• Employee retention – check the home’s list of employees and see how long each has worked there.
• Survey results – a check of the home’s last two surveys.
• Google reviews – review of the home’s Google reviews and ratings.
• In-service training – a look at the home’s training records from the last 6 months, based upon diversity in topics and participation rates.
• Menu – review of three menus of the home, based upon how appetizing the menu is.
• Activity calendar – review of a full month’s activity calendar from the home.
• Facility clean and in good repair – the home’s cleanliness and level of repair/disrepair.
• Aesthetically pleasing – décor, furniture, paint colors, curb appeal, etc.
• Resident Interview – a random chat with a resident in the home, asking about their daily life, how they like living there, etc.
• Employee interview – a chat with a random employee in the home, asking “Would you want your mom to live here?”
“The Willis cottage is not only a beautiful home but a caring one,” said John Darby, President of TORCH. “Our committee was impressed by not only the appearance of the home but also the feedback from residents and employees who live and work there. We thank Unlimited Care Cottages for their commitment to making it a wonderful place to call home. Their dedication has not gone unnoticed!”
Buck Buckholtz said, “Terri and I are extremely proud to have garnered the Home of the Year award by TORCH for our Willis cottage. We acquired this home in early 2018 and have made significant improvements to it, which has resulted in a stand-out, stellar home care setting. We strive to make each of our cottages into a home to provide exemplary care for our residents.”
Terri Buckholtz added, “This award means so much to us, especially given the challenges of providing assisted living care as we’ve all endured the pandemic. We have to give a shout out to our treasured caregivers who have remained dedicated to providing great care with good spirits, dedication, and care delivery to over 175 residents this year alone. Buck and I each have servants hearts, and we are truly thankful and feeling blessed for the success of our care model over the last 22 years.”
The cottage offers a unique, cozy, home-like alternative to larger, more traditional assisted living communities or nursing homes for families in need of care for an aging parent, family member, or friend. Staffed 24/7 by full-time care partners, the cottage boasts a high staff-to-resident ratio for the caregiving industry. Private and companion rooms are offered for residents whose needs range from minimum to maximum care with assistance with activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing, transferring, and medication reminders.
Transitional care for elderly patients who need extra help after a lengthy stay in the hospital or a rehabilitation center, as well as temporary respite care is also offered as space is available.
Cottage residents enjoy home-cooked meals in the kitchen and sitting out on the front and side porch. They can also participate in activities, such as music therapy, and they have access to volunteer services, on-site visiting physician services, home health, and hospice services. Other services, such as hair and nail care, are also provided for the residents.
For more information about Assisted Living by Unlimited Care Cottages, visit www.UnlimitedCareCottages.com or call 713-419-2609. Follow us on Facebook at Facebook.com/unlimitedcarecottages or on Twitter at Twitter@carecottages.